The University of Tasmania Stadium, also known as York Park, is located in Inveresk and York Park Precinct, Australia. It was opened in 1921 and was formerly known as Aurora Stadium. The ground hosts Australian Rules football and cricket. It is a home venue to Hawthorn Hawks, Hobart Hurricanes, North Launceston Football Club, and United FG.
|Home Teams:||Hawthorn Hawks (AFL)|
Hobart Hurricanes (BBL)
Western United FC
|Ground Size:||175M Wide|
In 1874, it was known as Launceston Showground. In 1901, it was named York Park in honor of the Duke of York. And in 1919, the council held a competition to make York Park designs, and it officially opened in 1921. Till 2008, the ground had undergone various redevelopments worth 23.6$M.
The seating capacity of the ground is 19,500-making it the largest stadium by seating capacity in Tasmania. The highest attendance record for the stadium was set in 2006 by 20,971 people for a football match.
It is an oval-shaped ground with the largest two-tier seating stand on its western side. It consists of corporate boxes and function centers. On the north, a heritage-listed northern and eastern terrace is present. On the eastern side, an uncovered small railway hill worker stand is also located.
The stadium is surrounded by different streets offering limited parking options. Inveresk Car Park also provides a free spot for two hours, but you have to walk for 10-minutes.On Willis Street, parking costs usually start from 3$ and vary with the event.
As the ground played a part in some Big Bash League matches, it is noted that it favors the fast bowlers more than the batsmen. A drop-in pitch was installed in the stadium for 2011-12 T20 games.
Notable Events & Records
- The ground hosted a match between Romania and Namibia for the 2003 Rugby Union World Cup.
- During the 2001-02 National Soccer League a match was held between Melbourne Knights and Perth Glory.
- During 2006 and March 2008, the ground also hosted the events for Crusty Demons- a group of freestyle motorcyclists from different countries.
- In 2021, York Park hosted two Elimination final matches of the Australian Football League. One between the Western Bulldogs and Essendon and second between the Sydney Swans and Greater Western Sydney Giants.
|First AFL Match:||6 May 2001 – Hawks vs Crows|
|Highest BBL Score:||186/5 Adelaide Strikers vs. Hobart Hurricanes (2020)|
|Lowest BBL Score:||69/5 Melbourne Stars vs. Hobart Hurricanes (2019)|
- Starting from October 2021, eight matches from the Women’s Big Bash League will be played in this arena.
23 Oct – Sydney Thunder vs Sydney Sixers – 15:40 (LOCAL)
23 Oct – Perth Scorchers vs Melbourne Renegades – 19:05 (LOCAL)
24 Oct – Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Renegades – 13:40 (LOCAL)
24 Oct – Perth Scorchers vs Sydney Thunder – 17:15 (LOCAL)
26 Oct – Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder – 13:25 (LOCAL)
26 Oct – Hobart Hurricanes vs Brisbane Heat – 16:50 (LOCAL)
27 Oct – Sydney Thunder vs Melbourne Renegades – 13:25 (LOCAL)
27 Oct – Hobart Hurricanes vs Melbourne Stars – 16:50 (LOCAL)
- University of Tasmania Stadium will host two Men’s Big Bash League matches as well.
08 Dec – Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Sixers – 06:35 PM (LOCAL)
10 Jan – Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Thunder – 07:15 PM (LOCAL)
Here is the complete address of Aurora Stadium:
2 Invermay Rd, Invermay